Thursday, March 20, 2008

Mr NYC Tries to Understand the New York Woman


Quite by coincidence, there were some articles today in different city papers that tried to psych-out what makes (some) New York women tick. These articles ranged from clothes to date etiquette to sex tapes, and the culminating effect these stories had on me was, "What's with you dames?"

First, the Daily News: this article is about how "going Dutch" on dinner dates usually kills the possibility that a guy will score. Yes, that's right, in the post-feminist 21st century in the most sophisticated city on Earth, New York women still expect guys to pick up the check. And Elliot Spitzer had to resign!

My advice to New York guys: DO NOT do dinner on a first date -- just meet for drinks. Offer to buy the first round. If she doesn't offer to get the next round, that tells you everything you need to know about her. (Cough-golddigger-cough)

Second, this New York Observer article is about the "urbane toyboy", city women who wear hoodies, t-shirts, jeans, and sneakers. They all aspire to look like Juno apparently, or Avril Lavigne (those darn Canadians!). My question: why?

My thoughts: I don't really care what women wear and I think women should wear whatever they're comfortable in. But if you look too masculine you might start attracting guys who aren't into ... girls. And I draw the line at back hair!

Finally, this nutty broad writes a whole article in the NY Press about making a sex tape with her "man". Hot, you're thinking, right? Uh, no. The way it turned out, apparently, was to descend into nothing more than awkward acrobatics and her shlub of a boyfriend was reduced to a trained seal. I really don't understand why people want to tape themselves doing the nasty. I don't see how it's either fun or sexy. Any of you out there done this? What's the thrill?

So after reading these articles today, Mr NYC can only conclude that today's New York women is a voyeuristic, sloppily-dressed cheapskate. God I hope I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it civil, intelligent, and expletive-free. Otherwise, opine away.