Wednesday, March 19, 2008

New Landmarks

As if the whole city weren't a itself landmark already, today the Landmarks Preservation Commission announced new structures in our city that will be saved from some developer's wrecking ball.

Some notables: One Chase Manhattan Plaza on Wall Street and Webster Hall in the East Village, the old ballroom-turned-speakeasy-turned nightclub.

I've never actually been to Webster Hall so I can't say whether or not it's really worthy of landmark status. But One Chase Manhattan Plaza? I worked in that building once many years ago and, call me a an architectural philistine, it never struck me as anything else but your typical 1960s pseudo-Bauhaus nightmare. What makes it so spacial, I don't know except that it has something to do with the Rockefeller family.

Tom Wolfe actually wrote a book in 1981 about the 1960s blight of boring architecture called From Bauhaus to Our House. Here's the original New York Times review. One Chase Manhattan fits the bill to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it civil, intelligent, and expletive-free. Otherwise, opine away.