Sunday, June 8, 2008

Monmouth Park


Yesterday, as you probably know, was the Belmont Stakes, the third race in the so called Triple Crown of horse racing -- the Preakness and Kentucky Derby being the others. The horse Big Brown had won both of those races and was heavily favored to win at Belmont but, sadly, he came in last. Sadly, that is, for those who bought tickets for Big Brown -- unlike yours truly.

Some friends and I went, instead, to the Monmouth Raceway, over yonder in that place called New Jersey. Much less crowded than Belmont. We watched several races and made bets between $2 to $10. I'm not a gambling man by nature but I did pretty good: I lost a few races but won almost $40 on the others (minus about the $20 or so I put in). We were also able to bet on the Big Brown race and I put $2 down on Denis of Cork to "show" (meaning he'd come in either first, second, or third). He came in second and that won me $4.40 (netting me a wild profit of $2.40). Gotta love the luck of the Irish!

I can't say I plan to go often to the track but it was fun. It's so much less crowded than a ballgame and you can make some money as well. The races start around 12:30 and go until 6. There's a race every quarter after and quarter to the hour. They even have picnic areas so you can bring your kids. So long as you don't gamble away your life savings (most people make $2 or $4 bets), it's a good time for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it civil, intelligent, and expletive-free. Otherwise, opine away.