Monday, May 23, 2011

Where did you grow up?

There was a great segment on today's Brian Lehrer Show about growing up in New York City -- and if this was good thing or not. If you would like to listen to it, you can go here.

Personally, I don't think it's either better or worse -- or makes you a better or worse kind of person -- wherever you grow up. Whether it's in the heart of NYC or way out in Siberia, the environment in which you were raised gives you certain experiences and knowledge that people elsewhere don't have.  Of course, it also means that you miss certain experiences and don't develop knowledge of other places. That's why, once people grow up, it's a great thing for people to travel and meet people from other places. And learn.

Speaking as someone who grew up in NYC, I'll say that I'm very glad that I was raised here and wouldn't wanted to have grown up anywhere else. Still, sometimes I wish that I'd lived a more Mayberry kind of life, swimmin' in the swimmi' hole, fishin' in the fishin' hole, shooting my dinner, and all that fun, crazy country stuff. Yee-haw!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it civil, intelligent, and expletive-free. Otherwise, opine away.