Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Believe the Hype


This very evening Senator Barack Obama arrived in NYC for his Presidential campaign. He was here for a variety of events, the big one being his early-evening rally at the Marriott in Brooklyn. Mr NYC was there - well, sort of. I was not there as a partisan but merely as an observer. Sadly, I was unable to get into the rally but I did see The Man himself. Allow me to explain.

There's a giant sign over Kosciuszko Bridge as you enter Brooklyn from Queens. It says "Welcome to Brooklyn: Believe the Hype." There has been, to put it mildly, much hype about the junior senator from Illinois. I heard that he draws huge crowds at whatever rallies or events he appears at, a rock-star politician if there ever was one. I was unsure how well he would play here in New York, particularly since this is Hillary-central. But when I got to the event, I had to get on line ... and it went on for blocks ... and blocks ... and blocks ... and blocks. The Man really does draw a crowd. The Marriott filled up quickly and then the overflow room filled up quickly. At one point he came out to greet those who couldn't get in and that's when I saw him. The crowd went wild and he politely and persuasively apologized. He really is a rock star, a powerful presence, and I was most impressed. Again, this is not a political blog and Mr NYC does not endorse anyone for dogcatcher let alone President. But Mr Obama really does fire up the people - in Brooklyn, in NYC, and America.

Believe the hype.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it civil, intelligent, and expletive-free. Otherwise, opine away.