Monday, September 25, 2017

Interview: Katharine Heller of the "Tell the Bartender" Podcast

The bartender is a popular character in American culture, the sympathetic souls who serves both booze and sympathy to their customers. Whenever you need a shoulder to cry on -- and a strong drink or two -- a good bartender will give them to you.

So what's it like to be a real bartender? To find out, Mr NYC asked Katharine Heller, of the Tell the Bartender podcast and a former NYC bartender to tell us all about booze, bartending, and listening to people's stories:

Tell us a little bit about your bartending experience and how it inspired you to create the podcast

When I was a bartender my favorite part of the job was meeting new people. Everyone has an incredible life story, and many people don't realize how fascinating their lives can be. To me, at least.

What are some of your wildest stories or moments from your bartending days?

I think one of my favorites was when a fight broke out, and one of our beloved regular customers punched a guy in the head, knocking him out, and he looked at us like, "I'm so sorry" and ran. We cut the music, turned the lights on full and my co-worker leaned down to tend to the man who was bleeding. He woke up, took one look at my co-worker bending over him, and grabbed her breast. Everyone was like, "OH OK HE PROBABLY DESERVED IT." He was fine, but we barred him. The regular was welcome back with open arms.

Do you have a favorite episode or moment from your podcast?

I love "I Didn't Know I was Nugent" because I never thought I'd find myself agreeing with anything Ted Nugent said. The ep is an interview with a man who found out, at age 40, that the father who put him up for adoption was Ted Nugent. It's wild.

What's the most powerful life lesson you've learning from a guest on your podcast?

Compassion. I talk to some trauma survivors who use the podcast to tell their story, and signal boost other people's needs. On Episode 87: Service Dogs > Brogressives, Julie, a sexual assault survivor, uses the last minutes of her interview to read a letter from another survivor. Some people like to make fun of those who have PTSD from trauma as "snowflakes". For me, I see them as the strongest, kindest people. To be vulnerable in telling a story like that is to have compassion, and I'm in awe of many of my guests.

How has living and working in NYC inspired your life and work?

I was born and raised here, but I am always excited about how much great art is being created here.

What is your favorite of the following drinks (either to drink or serve)?

Cocktail: Gin and tonic
Beer: Stella
Wine: Pinot Noir
Spirit: Vodka
Other: Sure

Tell us about the future of your podcast and would you ever go back to bartending? 

I'm a podcast producer and actor but I'd do it for a charity event.

Extra bonus questions: how does someone get a bartending job in NYC and get onto your podcast?

I don't care so much about bartenders so long as someone has a good story.

Thanks Katharine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it civil, intelligent, and expletive-free. Otherwise, opine away.