Thursday, January 26, 2023

Mr NYC & COVID-19

If you go back to my blog posts of March, 2020 it's like watching an act of disruption in real time -- for the first part of the month there are, as usual, a bunch of posts about various random things and then ... boom! 

It's all COVID all the time. 

Reading those posts from three years ago, it's chilling to see how our world was just hit like a missile with this virus, this pandemic. It brings you back to that moment in time, in real time, and shows you both how scary it was and how far we've come since then.

Fortunately, for yours truly, over these past three years, I was super-lucky never to get COVID and got four vaccination shots. I've still been masking, taking precautions but, like most people, was living more and more like it was a thing of the past.

Well, it's not -- and, as is true for everyone, eventually my luck ran out. Last week the virus paid me a short visit. I took a home test and those two dreaded lines appeared with all the impersonal cruelty of the skinless metal terminator walking through fire. I had a stuffy head, a running nose, and got tired easily. I had to isolate at home, test regularly, tell all my friends and family and co-workers, and just sweat it out.

But here's where my good decisions in the past helped make this experience more of an inconvenience instead of a crises: I was already fully vaxxed, had all the information I needed for next steps, and called the city to get Paxlovid which helps to fight virus. In short, I nipped that sucker in the bud.

We're truly fortunate to live not only in the greatest city in the world but also in a city that takes care of its citizens. The NYC government actually has many great services that all New Yorkers can avail themselves of. If you're a fortunate son like me, you don't usually need these services but it's great to know they're there.

So, if you get COVID, you should hit the NYC COVID site and get all the services and resources you can -- including Paxlovid (if you qualify) that can help you beat the virus quickly. My experience with COVID makes all the anti-vax, anti-government lies and propaganda from the Republican party even more outrageous and stupid. Vaccines work and government can help and anyone who disagrees is just a moron. 

To quote that wise man Jerry Springer, take care of yourself and each other -- that's the NYC way!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it civil, intelligent, and expletive-free. Otherwise, opine away.