Translate Mr NYC into any language!

Thursday, July 30, 2026

NYC Cigarette Commercials

Growing up in the 1980's and '90s I saw a lot of cigarette ads in magazines, on top of taxicabs, and various other places all over NYC. The most memorable one of which was this:


As old as I am, however, I grew up too late to see cigarette commercials on TV. But there used to be some interesting ones, includes some set in NYC. And even though cigarette commercials have been banned in the USA for over 50 years, that hasn't stopped foreign countries from using NYC for their TV cigarette commercials. 

Fascinating stuff.

But NYC was actually one of the leaders in anti-smoking commercials and, don't forget, this was the first big city in the world to ban public smoking. Now that's ... Kool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it civil, intelligent, and expletive-free. Otherwise, opine away.