Thursday, December 5, 2019

Chemical Reactions

I don't usual do a "Throwback Thursday" kind of thing but I guess here's my small contribution to the meme: my grandfather used to work at Chemical Bank. It was a big time bank in NYC and the whole country (in 1996 it was bought and subsumed into Chase Bank, thus vanishing into history).

Anyway, this is an old 1960s commercial for Chemical Bank and, if you ever doubted that the patriarchy exists or wonder why women are so angry, this was the commercial's slogan: "The New York woman. When her needs are financial, her reaction is ... chemical."

Wow! I can only imagine the Mad Men-like white guys with slicked back hair wearing tweed suits and glasses, sitting around a conference table trying to come up with a catchy slogan for this client, and one of the creeps saying, "Guys! Guys! Guys! I got it, I got it! How about this? 'The New York woman. When her needs are financial, her reaction is ... chemical ...'"
"Oh that's good!"
"Yeahhhhhh!"
"I like it!"
"Definately ..."
"I think we got it boys, I think we got it!" 
Now wonder Trump is President.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it civil, intelligent, and expletive-free. Otherwise, opine away.