Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Wes Anderson's Real Unreal NYC

I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of Wes Anderson's movies -- I find them rather  precious and not that funny (although I enjoyed the Grand Budapest Hotel and want to see The French Dispatch).

This lack of enthusiasm includes his 2001 flick The Royal Tenenbaums, about a dysfunctional family in NYC.

While I'm not a big fan of the movie, I totally agree with this article about how The Royal Tenenbaums is certainly one of the most unique NYC movies ever made. The movie takes place in a totally surreal, completely unrealistic and fake version of the city -- even though it was filmed entirely on location in NYC. Unlike other movies that are filmed elsewhere but are set in, and attempt to portray a realistic version of, NYC, this movie was actually filmed here but shows a totally unbelievable version of the city. 

The movie is now 20 years but, whether its then or now, NYC is a place than can always be re-imagined. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it civil, intelligent, and expletive-free. Otherwise, opine away.