Friday, August 26, 2022

Interview: Normal Bob Smith on the Wild Characters of Union Square

To say that there are lots of interesting and different kinds of people in NYC is an understatement -- and stating the obvious. But anyone who can find a way to capture of the life of NYC in a interesting and original way is always going to spark my interest.

One such person is someone who goes under the moniker Normal Bob Smith, who has run a YouTube channel for more than a decade, posting videos of the numerous and fascinating characters who populate Union Square. The videos are a combination of off-the-cuff interviews and observations of people who still dare to live offbeat, whacky lives in a city that's becoming more and more gentrified and square. 

Normal Bob Smith was kind enough to answer a few questions for Mr NYC about his channel and what he's learned watching the wild characters of Union Square. 

Who is Normal Bob Smith and what led you to create the Normal Bob YouTube channel?

Normal Bob Smith is me. And the YouTube channel was started after I moved to NYC in 2002 and started filming there. YouTube wasn’t born until 2006, but when it happened I realized it was a perfect place to start posting my videos from Union Square and elsewhere around NYC. 

How long has the channel existed and are still uploading new content?

The channel has officially existed since YouTube’s conception, however I did have two channels before that were deleted by YouTube back when their rules and regulations weren’t quite as clear. The present Channel has been around since 2012 I believe.

What is it about Union Square that attracts such wild characters?

Union Square has been attracting its wild characters (more than any other NYC park) because of its location. Between lower & upper Manhattan, East & West Village, along with being a major subway port and popular shopping area. Also the park faces out to the streets, where most of the other parks are fenced in or closed off in some way or another.

Your videos aren't just interviews -- it seems like each one is a narrative, a very short story, about the person you're talking to. Is that a good way to put it or are you trying to achieve something else?

All I was trying to truly achieve was documenting the things I saw unfold before my eyes every day as honestly as possible. I was dazzled by the show I went there for and knew I’d regret not capturing the people and stories.

What kind of unexpected wisdom have you learned from these people?

Honestly what I learned most from my time there was how to control my own behavior in wild situations. Trying to concentrate on documenting others while keeping my own opinions silent as well as I could. My earlier videos I do more trying to interject my opinions into the narrative, while later on I realized the stories are better the more background I remain. Restraining my ego was a lesson I learned, and continue to try and practice.

Thanks Bob!

If you want to learn more about Bob and particularly his art background, you can read his fascinating life story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it civil, intelligent, and expletive-free. Otherwise, opine away.