Friday, June 9, 2023

Mr NYC in Heidelberg

Last year I went to Germany for work and blogged about it here. It included a short trip to the university city of Heidelberg, where I wrote about and showed pictures of the big castle (or shloss) that I saw there.

Recently I returned to Heidelberg and got to see more of the Old City area. It's really beautiful and, while it might call itself "old", it's a lively, vibrant, ever-alive part of this great city. The main part of this city lies along the Haupstrasse, a carless street, that includes the old and new living in perfect harmony:


I also saw some interesting statues of the great 19th-century German chancellor Otto von Bismark, Professor Buntsen (who worked at the university and invented the Buntsen burner) as well as a very interesting looking fountain and another statue of a man looking very depressed -- which was appropriate since he was sitting outside the department of psychiatry:


I also saw a beautiful small church along the street that I had a few minutes to take pictures of -- until I was kicked out by the guy who was locking it up as he waved me out, saying "Schnell! Schnell! I schnelled but not before getting these pics:


I saw some other interesting buildings, including a brand-new one built in an old-German style, a trolley, and some interesting English-language signage:


Finally, the city of Heidelberg is located on a big river called the Neckar and also surrounded by mountains. At twilight, it makes for a gorgeous sight:


All in all, a great trip, and beautiful city in an amazing country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it civil, intelligent, and expletive-free. Otherwise, opine away.