Monday, February 25, 2008

Interview: Midwesterner in NYC


Although I consider myself to be the quintessential New Yorker, I did leave town for four years to go to college. College happened to be in the Gateway City, otherwise known as St. Louis, in that great swing state of Missouri. How interesting then that I should come across another New York City blogger who happens to be from ... St. Louis! Thus I introduce you to the genius behind the Midwesterner's Guide to Living in New York City and ask him to compare and contrast the two cities.
What made you leave St. Louis for New York City?

Pretty long and complicated answer but cutting to the chase I was bored. In fact I can sum up pretty much why I do anything with those three words. Any decision I make in life usually stems from the fact I was bored with whatever I was doing before.
Why did you start your blog? In an all honesty no bullshit answer I wanted to get a blog I had created on Gawker. I know it is probably not cool to admit that but that is the truth, I had no aspirations that someday I would get a book deal or become a famous internet personality. I used to read Dan Murphy (Daily Dump/[redacted]) and Rob the Bouncer's (Club Life) blogs and wanted to have my own little niche like they did. Dan Murphy is an excellent writer and Rob the Bouncer has interesting stories to tell and I did not feel I particularly had either of these qualities. Fortunately I drink a lot and urinate in places I should not, and can make a good Star Wars reference so it only took me three weeks to reach my lofty goal. I considered quitting right then, and probably should have.Are you right at home in NYC or a fish out of water? I think everyone that moves here is a fish out of water for the first 18 months. I think it takes a solid year and a half to finally feel like there is a sense of knowing what you are doing. Then one day things that were once intimidating are not anymore and things that were fascinating are no longer fascinating. It just becomes "The place I live" and it takes a trip somewhere else to realize again what a wonderfully horrible place this is.Let's compare the two cities: I found the pace of life in St. Louis to be a little slower than NYC but I didn't find them to be that radically different. How would you compare them? I think the differences are quite huge. In one city you have to be constantly on guard, trouble will find you if not careful. I mean you can be walking on Broadway and your getting stared down by everyone that passes because they peg you as an outsider and the next thing you know your wallet is gone. Thank God I left all that behind and moved to New York.You're a big sports fan, and both St. Louis and New York are big sports town. Tell us your thoughts about sports and sports fans in both cities. I disagree, I do not think either city is a big sports town. St. Louis loves baseball but too many people are caught up in the hype that we are the "Best Baseball city in America". I mean people are holding up signs at games that say "Baseball Heaven U.S.A.". Give me a fucking break. Have you seen the Cardinals projected lineup for this year? Baseball Heaven? More like Baseball Purgatory.
New York on the other hand is too fair-weather. Too many Jets fans that "also like the Giants." I do know some native New Yorkers that are very loyal to their team but the average guy that lives in New York is not from here originally. These people move here and declare themselves Yankees fans though they could not tell you the difference between Claudell Washington and Kevin Mass. I will give credit to the people that pick the Mets as their new team, at least they are not just jumping on a bandwagon. If it is a bandwagon it is a very sad and poorly crafted bandwagon that breaks down before it ever reaches Oregon

One thing I loved about St. Louis was Ted Drews frozen custard. Are you a fan and do you think it would be a hit in NYC?

Yeah it is OK. I think I was six years old or so the first time I ever had it, of course my Grandfathers hype machine was in overdrive telling me how wonderful this stuff was. By the time I actually tried it I was expecting the equivalent of eating "Le Coeur de la Mer", when in reality it was just ice cream. I am sure it would do fine here, probably better in the summer than in winter. That is my prediction.

Any plans to move back to the Midwest?


No.


Any final thoughts?
I want to thank you for asking me to do this. It is an absolute honor to be interviewed by a publication as respected as The Economist.
Well Mr NYc is not quite The Economist but a blogger can dream. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it civil, intelligent, and expletive-free. Otherwise, opine away.