Monday, March 16, 2009

Are New Yorkers Allergic to Failure?

This item from New York magazine makes a persuasive case: Why Us?
New Yorkers’ excess of recession depression.

Failure is a part of life -- sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you ain't. You always play to win but sometimes you get out-played or there are other events beyond your control that cause you to lose. Such is life. Sucks to lose, great to win, but you can't always get what you want ...

Yet there is something in the NYC DNA that finds failure ... unacceptable. Like it's something to be ashamed of. Like it's akin to child molestation or something. I've known lots of people -- you know, these super Type A folks -- who, whenever things don't go their way or they fall short in some way, feel like they're bad people, like they're somehow morally deficient. Failure is a badge of shame for a lot of New Yorkers.

But it shouldn't be!

Now I'm plenty Type A, as neurotic as the next person, but I recognize that sometimes I'm gonna fail ... but if I keep working hard, more often than not, I'll succeed. I've won, I've lost, I've won and lost again and again and again ... the key is not to be bitter about your failures or to get too arrogant about your successes, and should always just get up to fight another day.

... and you might just find you get what you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it civil, intelligent, and expletive-free. Otherwise, opine away.