Thursday, August 9, 2018

Interview: Laura Goggin, NYC Wildlife Photographer

Laura Goggin is an NYC photographer whose amazing blog is a cornucopia of original NYC street scenes and wildlife. In particular, her blog chronicles the lives of two gorgeous red-tail hawks named Christo and Dora who make Tompkins Square Park their home. For five years now, Laura has followed them, posting pictures of their comings and goings, and showing the love they generate in their community.

Just when you didn’t think someone could find something new to photograph in NYC, Laura has gone ahead and done it. The pictures of Christo and Dora, along with her other wonderful photos of NYC streets and wildlife, capture what a complicated, endlessly fascinating city this is for someone with a great eye.

Laura was kind enough to tell Mr. NYC more about her blog, her love for photography and NYC, and what made her want to tell the ongoing story of Christo and Dora.

What inspired your love of photography?

The streets of New York! I love to walk around and explore, so when I first came to the city, I spent all my time scouring the different neighborhoods, going places I'd never been before. I liked the architecture, especially the 19th century buildings and the history. Every block tells a story and I tried to capture some of that in my early photography.

How long have you been taking pictures?

I received my first Kodak Instamatic for Christmas when I was 11, but I didn't start getting serious until I was given my first digital camera in 2004. Before that, I was more into painting and drawing. When I moved into a tiny apartment that was too small to accommodate all my art materials, I found that using the camera fulfilled my need do something creative and it also motivated me to get outside every day and be inspired.

What made you want to create a photography blog back in 2007?

I was posting my photos on Flickr which is a great social community and a good way to get feedback from other photographers. However, I wanted to be able to attach narratives to my photos and say more about them, so that necessitated me setting up my own site. I didn't really know what I was doing at the time, but I knew I wanted to be more of a storyteller.

Your blog specifically chronicles the lives of two red-tailed hawks in Tompkins Square Park, Christo and Dora. What inspired you to track and photograph these hawks, and how long have you been following them?

The first hawk I saw in Tompkins Square Park was low in a tree near Avenue A and a crowd of people had gathered around to watch as it ate a rat. I'd never been so close to a wild raptor before, so I was mesmerized. I wanted to know all about it, so I stayed with the bird until it finished its meal to find out what it would do next. After that, I was hooked. I knew almost nothing about hawks, so everything that followed was a learning experience.

What struck me that first day, and what still amazes me, is how a wild animal can live in one of the most urban areas in the world and not only survive, but thrive. I never knew there was so much nature in the city until I started paying attention to hawks. Having the opportunity to walk a short distance from my apartment and witness wildlife that I would never be able to see in a rural area was absolutely thrilling. Suddenly, I had new inspiration and a desire to pursue a unique subject I that never crossed my mind before.

In November 2013, a pair of adult red-tailed hawks appeared in the park, which was new and intriguing. Until then, there had been mostly migrating immature hawks who would stay for a few days or weeks and then leave. This new adult pair quickly decided to claim the park as their territory and proceeded to drive all the other hawks out of the area. The pair would come to be known as Christo and Dora (named after the Christodora House on Avenue B and 9th Street), and the saga that followed is documented on my website.

What has been the most surprising and interesting thing in capturing their lives?

I never knew much about birds at all until I started watching the hawks, so every day I learn something new. However, having the hawks nest in plain sight (the first two nests were on air-conditioners in windows), has given us an intimate view of their daily lives and shown us things we would never see in the wild. We've been able to observe net-building, courtship behavior, egg-laying, chick-rearing, hunting, and the roles the hawks play in their relationship. The male, Christo, is the provider, so he does most of the hunting and teaches the chicks how to catch food. The female, Dora, not only looked after the chicks in the nest, but she was the primary defender of the territory. I saw her fight Peregrine falcons while soaring high over the park.

What things about the lives of hawks or exotic birds in NYC that most people probably don't know about?

I think most people just don't know the birds are there. Look up! I can't tell you how many times I've seen a hawk swoop right over the head of someone who is staring down at their phone and they never notice a thing. You also post many pictures of NYC wildlife as well as street scenes. I started out photographing street scenes, but as the streets get sanitized and gentrified, they lose the magic that originally attracted me. Urban wildlife is beautiful, exciting and educational. As I learn more about it, the more involved I become in environmental conservation. I'm hoping other people are also inspired by the hawks to take action and work to keep our neighborhoods clean and safe for wildlife.

Do you seek out things like that to photograph or do you just see something and shoot it if it captures your imagination?

If there is something I'm interested in, I'll seek it out, but I usually like to just take a walk and see where it leads me. What else do you like (or want to) photograph? I like to photograph things you wouldn't find in any of those NYC souvenir shops. There are certain subjects I'm attracted to, like people sitting on fire escapes or stoops. These are moments of quiet and peace in a city of noise and chaos.

Tell us what you love about living in, and photographing, NYC?

I love the energy and the diversity of the city. No day is the same. I can walk out my door and find every kind of art, music, food, culture, entertainment and now wildlife. That's what makes NYC so great.

Thanks Laura!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it civil, intelligent, and expletive-free. Otherwise, opine away.