Thursday, December 31, 2020

Remembering "Die Fledermaus" on Live from the Met -- December 31, 1986

In NYC the ultimate New Year's Eve tradition is the ball drop in Times Square. In Europe, there's another grand tradition -- a performance of Johann Strauss's comic operreta Die Fledermaus.

Roughly translated as"The Bat", the operetta is about a Viennese gentlemen who is sentenced to a few days in jail for having insulted a public official. Before going to jail, he sneaks out to party held by a mysterious prince, dressed in a bat costume. Little does he know that his wife and maid are also at this party, disguised. He tries to seduce his own wife at the party and then, after hilarity ensues, winds up where he belongs -- in jail. The operrata is a silly, raucous piece of fun, the perfect New Year's Eve show.

It's also has a really wonderful score, including an overture that is one of the greatest in history.

Even though New Year's Eve performances of Die Fledermaus is a mostly European thing, on occassion the Metropolitan Opera will stage one (most recently, I believe, in 2013). In 1986 the Met unveiled a new production of the operretta that it hadn't performed in 20 years and, on December 31, 1986, it was performed on national television on the PBS show "Live from the Met."

You can see part of it here.

Memories of watching television aren't the most interesting to share but I have one unique memory from that December 31, 1986 -- the first New Year's Eve I can remember celebrating, watching Die Fledermaus with my parents. I was also performing that night, doing the "The Nutracker" at NYCB, across the Lincoln Center plaza from the Metropolitan Opera house where Die Fledermaus was being performed. After my performance, my mother picked me up and took me home -- and I clearly remember our neighborhood being completely shut down, the streets deserted. We got home and my dad was watching and recording -- on the good ol' VCR -- the broadcast of Die Fledermaus. I started watching it with him, and fell in love with the music and gaity of this operreta (marveling that only a couple of hours earlier I was myself performing from just across the plaza where this show was being broadcast). Later, I re-watched Die Fledermaus and loved it all the more. The entire broadcast was a classy, beautiful affair.

Afterwards, midnight struck and I had my first glass of sparkling cider to rin in 1987. Then I went to bed.

A great memory and, to this day, my favorite New Year's ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it civil, intelligent, and expletive-free. Otherwise, opine away.