Friday, February 8, 2019

Sesame Street @ 50

The world changes constantly but Sesame Street endures -- the legendary kid's show turned fifty this year and shows no signs of disappearing.

Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch, Bert & Ernie, Grover, Elmo, and so many others are still going strong. 

Apparently the show almost did go off the air but HBO and various business decisions saved it. Thank God!

Like everyone my age (even older), and certainly younger, I grew up watching Sesame Street. It helped me learn letters, numbers, and instilled in me a love of learning. No, the show didn't educate me, it didn't raise me, but it remains a happy memory from my childhood, and enriched me as it has so many others.

Now I have kids of my own, and they love Sesame Street too (well, my oldest says she's too old for it now but my youngest still loves it -- she calls it "Sessee"). 

Did you know Sesame Street has won more Emmys than any other show in history? Did you know there will soon be an actualy Sesame Street in NYC?

As a kid, I actually thought there was a real Sesame Street, and took the theme song -- "Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street?" -- literally. Now there will be!

Happy birthday, Sesame Street! Here's the first episode from 1969: 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it civil, intelligent, and expletive-free. Otherwise, opine away.