Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Bloomberg the Golf Nut


Our billionaire mayor is totally obsessed with golf.

What a surprise.

For the life of me, I'll never understand what it is about this game that makes people so obsessed with it. I've sworn never to try playing it myself for fear that, like drugs, I might become addicted. It seems to addict many.

Part of me believes that very few people actually enjoy playing this game. Knocking a little white ball around a big field just seems ... so ... boring. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so.

I think it's largely a macho thing -- guys are super-competitive with one another, always trying to measure themselves against the other (and when I say measure, you know what I'm really talking about), and playing golf and having a "great handicap" is just another part of this whole ... measurement process.

And Bloomberg, for all his accomplishments, is just another measurer IMO.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it civil, intelligent, and expletive-free. Otherwise, opine away.