Thursday, June 18, 2009

If you get caught between the moon and New York City ...

"... the best that you can do ..."

A great NYC movie, Arthur was a big hit back in 1981 and won two Oscars -- Best Supporting Actor for the legendary John Gielgud and Best Original Song for this song by Christopher Cross.

In 1982, on Night of 100 Stars, Christopher Cross performed his hit song with the movie's star, Dudley Moore, accompanying him on piano. It's quite touching to see. Sadly, Dudley Moore died in 2002 and Christopher Cross dropped out of show business for a long, long time after this. But this song has a certain timeless beauty, that celebrates love, fun, and, of course, New York City.

This song has a rather complicated title: it's alternatively called "Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)" or "The Moon and New York City." Either way, it's a great song, and don't forget ...

"... best that you can do ... is fall in love ..."

4 comments:

  1. It is indeed a beautiful song. I had all but forgotten about it until I heard it again in The Boy From Oz on Broadway a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my fave videos. I love seeing Dudley being involved in the song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also meant to comment that I think Chris Cross was the last artist before the video age. Unfortunately for the most part, they stopped letting people who looked like him put out music after about 1982. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not New Yorker either, I live far from New York, I'm dreaming come to NYC. Still I can feel the spirit of the song. Absolutely my favorites song. What a beautiful song.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it civil, intelligent, and expletive-free. Otherwise, opine away.